Crypto-focused project Zilliqa (ZIL) has announced the launch of its own mainnet, enabling "innovative blockchain-powered solutions to real-world problems," notes the official announcement which was shared with iHodl.
Zilliqa is now the very first public blockchain platform to successfully implement sharding, to address one of the biggest challenges to mainstream blockchain adoption — scalability.
"Throughout the past 18 months, we have made significant scientific and engineering progress, constantly refined our protocol designs, and sought feedback from our community to deliver the scalable, secure, high-performance public blockchain platform that we promised," said Xinshu Dong, CEO and Co-Founder of Zilliqa.
Among different core features of the Zilliqa mainnet the special ones are the followings:
- Sharding: The network supports transaction sharding for both regular payment transactions and those that invoke smart contracts;
- PBFT-style blockchain: Zilliqa will be one of the very few PBFT-style (Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance) blockchains available today;
- Safe smart contracts: The protocol comes shipped with our new safe-by-design smart contract language, Scilla.
- Dual and eco-friendly mining: By using PoW only for Sybil resistance, the energy footprint of mining on Zilliqa will be much smaller compared to the blockchains that use PoW to reach consensus on every block;
- Low variance in block rewards: A novel incentive mechanism to reward miners by measuring their contributions in the consensus protocol allows thousands of (or more) miners to be rewarded for a single block.
As it states, the development team of Zilliqa will be focusing on a more efficient backend for Scilla, efficient smart contract sharding, and research on incentive and staking mechanisms for different blockchains.
Earlier, Coinbase announced the listing of ZIL on its Coinbase Pro platform.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel to stay up to date on the latest crypto and blockchain news.